This is a capstone forum requiring consolidation of information learned and skills acquired during the course term. Here you will share with classmates a research study proposal you have developed that could be used to investigate a social-psychological issue. Social Psychology focuses on the impact of social environments on individuals or groups.
For this forum a longer initial post is required for capstone work. A minimum of 400 words is required. Replies to your classmates’ initial posts should be minimum of 200 words.
Two examples of social psychology focused studies are:
A study that researches the impact of public awareness ad campaigns on public attitudes toward the severely mental ill
A study comparing types school administrator response to reports of bullying and victims’ willingness to report instances of bullying to their parents.
Developing your research study proposal and sharing it with fellow learners will give you the opportunity to put into practice what you have learned this course term about conducting research and engage in collaborative, respectfully constructive dialog about your proposed research design with tips and ideas from your fellow learners available for use refining it. The latter mirrors what practitioners in the field regularly seek from colleagues when planning research activities.
Begin your post with why a particular specialty area within the larger general field of psychology might want to study the particular topic you are proposing, before moving on to the details of your proposal. There are multiple specialty areas in psychology about which students learn in the completion of their undergraduate degree program. Our BA in Psychology PSYC101 Introduction to Psychology and PSYC102 Professional Careers and Education in Psychology courses cover these but if you need refresher, http://www.apa.org/careers/resources/guides/careers.aspx# is an excellent source of information about psychology’s areas of specialization).
The following information is required for your proposal. In your post, please place the heading My Research Proposal over this portion for ease of everyone being able to distinguish between the above and your actual proposal:
1. Proposed study’s topic and focus
2. Hypothesis (can be in a form of question or stating the Ho and Ha)
3. Participants (also sometimes referred to as “subjects”)
4. Proposed sampling method
5. Data gathering method
6. Method of analysis (The type of statistics you would use to analyze gathered data; not stats formula details, but which stats you would use).
7. An explanation of your study’s contribution/s to the field (the benefits to individuals, group’s and society as a whole of the study results. Example: Using the first hypothetical social psychology study above, if we find that public awareness ads are associated with improved changes in attitudes toward the severely mentally ill might we use such study results as a means of advocating for Federal funding for expanding advertizing efforts; or if study results show no to little association between ads and public attitude changes, might we better serve the severely ill by pursuing other means of reducing stigma?