[Instant Help From 9$/Pg] Additional “ Sappho ”
Directions: Before completing this assignment, be sure that you have:
- Read “Sappho” on page 635
- Read poems 1, 16, 31, 44, and 94
- Also read over additional “Sappho” biography in the resources area of this lesson
- And finally read “Sappho and Human Sexuality”
Then, complete an original post responding to one prompt from the list below (or an original prompt of your own). Additionally, you should also interact with your classmates by responding (in a congenial fashion) to the posts of at least two of your classmates.
Grading: To receive a 100 on this assignment, you need to create a post to one of the prompts below and a response to the posts of others which moves the discussion forward. Simple “I agree with so and so” posts will only receive partial credit. Editing your responses prior to posting is also helpful (to your grade).
- What might a theme of Sappho’s Poem 1 be?
- What might she mean by the phrase “come to me now: loose me from hard / care and all my heart longs / to accomplish, accomplish…”?
- In what way is poem 16 a reaction to Homer’s Iliad?
- What might she be saying about war, love, other ideas, in poem 16?
- What is the main idea of poem 31? How does Sappho construct this idea?
- What is the main idea of poem 44? How does Sappho construct this idea?
- What is the main idea of poem 94? How does Sappho construct this idea?
- Take any of the poems and construct a brief response to the poem.
- After reading any of the poems, compare them to another work that you have read/listened to/watched.