[Instant Help From 9$/Pg] Resources Apa Guide Writing
You have just been hired as a Research Assistant for a hospital where you will be working with a team that conducts human research. As a part of your training, you are expected to refresh your understanding of historical issues in human research and how they relate to current research practices. Your supervisor has asked you to create a PowerPoint to demonstrate your understanding of historical issues in human research based. Your presentation will be based on one of the following articles:
- Tuskegee Syphilis Study
- Mackey-Kallis, S. (2019). Tuskegee experiment. Salem Press Encyclopedia.
- Henrietta Lacks
- Gabbay, F. H. (2012). An American woman and the right to health. Psychiatry: Interpersonal & Biological Processes, 75(2), 113–119.
- Nazi Medical Experiments
- Naming the victims of Nazi medicine. (2017). The Lancet, 389(10085), 2182-2183.
- Thomas, K. (2020, Mar 24). Thalidomide’s legacy: [Correction]. New York Times
Create a PowerPoint presentation that examines historical issues in human research and how this relates to current research practices. Select one of the articles listed above on the following historical research projects: Tuskegee Syphilis Study, Henrietta Lacks, Nazi Medical Experiments, or Thalidomide Trials.
The presentation should address the following:
- Define ethics in human research and identify how ethics are presented in the article.
- Explain the background and hypothesis of the historical research project.
- Explain the role of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and note examples of protections for research participants. If there was no IRB, explain how having one could have helped ensure ethical standards were maintained.
- Using current principles outlined by the IRB that govern human research, identify the principles that were violated. Provide an explanation regarding the violations and how these violations would have been avoided using current research practices.
- The presentation should be visually appealing with colors, graphics, and key words.
- Use the notes section below each slide to write the details of what would be said during a live presentation. This allows you to show your understanding and critical thinking skills to the instructor.
Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.
The name of the file should be your first initial and last name, followed by an underscore and the name of the assignment, and an underscore and the date. An example is shown below: